Gluten-Free | Plant-Based | Vegan | Dairy-Free | Sugar-Free
Vegan Recipe for Lunch: Spicy Harissa Butternut Squash Wrap
Undoubtedly one of the most popular go-to lunch meals is the wrap. Sure you can get a salad but a wrap? A healthy wrap is actually SATISFYING.
The issue is that most store-bought and restaurant wraps have a whole lot of additives you don't want like dressings that pack on the sodium and sugar or wraps without much nutrient value than a cardboard box. So what to do?
Make it yourself! anThis wrap recipe is easy to follow and makes enough food that you can have it for at least 2 servings - perfect for meal planning. This is an excellent vegan recipe for lunch because it travels easily with you or even a vegan dinner recipe because it's filling and easy to make after a long day at work.
I've given you the base here and the sauce ingredients but get as creative as you like and stuff these babies full!!!
This vegan lunch recipe is healthy, delicious and super simple.
Makes: 2 to 4 wraps
Prep time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 35 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Vegan Wrap Ingredients
- 3 cups (approx 450g) butternut squash peeled and chopped bite-size
- Package of your favorite green leaves (spinach, mixed, kale, etc.)
- Pack of 4 gluten-free wraps (the sweet potato one are great!)
- Your choice fillings (e.g. beans, avocado, red onion, sweet corn, etc.)
Harissa Sauce Ingredients
Fit Foodie Optionals for Harissa Sauce
- 1 tbsp (6g) cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp (1g) coriander seeds
TWO baking trays greased with oil
Oil for baking butternut squash (any oil your choice)
Equipment & Extras
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and make sure baking trays are greased. Set aside.Begin by spreading out your butternut squash pieces on one of the baking trays. Drizzle and mix in oil. (You don't need to add salt because the harissa will have it.)
- Next, move on to your harissa sauce. Start by cutting your pepper and chillis in half and removing the seeds + inner lining from them. Place on second baking tray and drizzle and mix in oil. Then arrange in lines with the open side down.
- Put both trays in the oven on DIFFERENT racks and set timer for 30 minutes. (Ideally peppers + chilli on lower rack.)
- Once your timer goes off, remove chilli + pepper tray and leave to cool. Leave squash to cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes until as soft as you want it. (If you're doing the fit foodie extras you can also toast those seeds in a skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.)
- When all food is cooked, put all harissa ingredients, EXCEPT for olive oil, in a food processor and blend until smooth. Stir in olive oil by hand. Now comes the best part (besides eating!) Spread harissa sauce on the wraps along with all your filling extras. It helps to make a line down the center of the wrap and keep the ends clear so that you can more easily fold (and gobble down!)
That's it! Store any wrap extras in airtight container in fridge for up to 3 days. Aproveita!!!
Looking for more Healthy Vegan Lunch Recipes? Try these!
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Burritos
Stuffed Avocado and Pineapple Salsa
Sweet Potato Pizza Rounds